For several months now, I have been telling myself I need to come up with a studio glaze that will either be just as good or better than the commercial turquoise I have been using. You never know when the glaze will be taken off the market and you find yourself stuck and out of luck. So, to reproduce the glaze is not going to be an easy task, that I already know... probably the reason why it has taken me so long to venture into the adventure.
There are several ways I could go about replicating the glaze. First, I could simply attempt to modify some of the glazes I already have in the studio. Second, I could simply find a glaze online that closely resembles it. Last but not least, and the most work involved would be to create a glaze. This last one is the one I least want to try.
I have a copper red glaze that when fired in oxidation will give me a turquoise. I believe I have added 4% rutile to the recipe. I don't have my notes with me. I tested the glaze and am not happy with the results. I really didn't see much of a change from the original recipe.
Below are some samples of what I have been getting with the commercial glaze by itself and in combination with other glazes. Next to them is a sample using Val's Turquoise in the same way as the commercial one. I found this glaze online and thought I'd give it a try.
|VAL CUSHING'S TURQUOISE|
|COMM. TURQUOISE AND OATMEAL|
|VC'S TURQUOISE AND OATMEAL|
|COMM. TURQUOISE AND RASPBERRY|
|VC'S TURQUOISE AND RASPBERRY|
Well... as one can see... it didn't work... it didn't even come close to it.